Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rolling the Dice - the Cube Project for Silverlight



I am teaching a "Product Workshop" course at the MTA college in Tel-Aviv.
Usually students submit something that can be used as a "black box" product, like: a web application managing event invitations, a simulator for physics rules and many other nice things.
Whenever a student wants to create a library or a toolkit (that is, something to be used by other applications), I urge him or her (well, it's a him, let's stop with this political correctness, when it is a she the product is a very nice well designed, all screen pink, web application for match-making...*), well, I urge him to put it out as an open source.

So here is something recently created by my student, Itamar Kotler:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/silverlight/CubeProject.aspx

It's a component for creating a rotating cube out of 6 photos, right into your web site.

Funny that it is not inherently supported by Silverlight (there is something in Silverlight but the argument is that it doesn't really support full rotation through all possible angles). I guess it will have soon a decent substitute as part of Silverlight, which will probably disappoint Itamar. But then again he can always argue that he drove Microsoft to implement and present a decent rotating cube.




* Just before I'd be accused of being a male chauvinist swine, some of the best projects I get are from women. And I can live with pink screens.

No comments: